It’s nearly Christmas! To celebrate, I offer you some homophones that I have tenuously linked to the season: peal and peel.
- a long loud echoing sound (such as that made by bells)
- to sound with a peal or peals
- a set of bells
- a series of changes rung on bells
- to remove the skin, rind or outer covering of
- to come off in flakes
- to lose parts of an outer layer or covering, usually in strips or small pieces
- the skin or rind of a fruit (such as that found in mincemeat)
I don’t have a simple mnemonic for remembering this one; if you have any suggestions, please let me know below. I wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!