Please find below the terms and conditions for students. You can also view them in PDF form here: Terms and Conditions for Students.
These terms and conditions are to be read in conjunction with the terms and conditions for private clients.
The proofreading service I provide will cover the following:
– Marking up amendments using tracked changes in Microsoft Word so that you can accept or reject each change individually.
– Checking and correcting your spelling, grammar and punctuation in the main text, tables, figures, endnotes and appendices (as agreed). This may include limited rewording of sentences to correct your English.
– Making sure that spelling, punctuation and capitalisation are consistent. I will also make sure that other aspects of style and formatting (such as headings and numbering) are consistent.
– Identifying the incorrect use of words and either suggesting alternatives or that an alternative should be investigated by you.
– Highlighting any text where the meaning is not clear. I will outline the problem so that you can make amendments.
– Suggesting ways to divide very long sentences and paragraphs. However, I will not reduce the overall word count.
– Checking that your references follow the correct style (for example, Harvard or APA). However, I will not check the details and I will not add in any missing information. In addition, I will not arrange references into a required style if no attempt has been made by you to do so.
– Providing a summary of the main or common errors identified in order for you to improve your future writing if required.
To request a quotation:
– Please provide me with a sample of your text. It must accurately reflect the quality of your work. If the full text that I later receive is of a lower standard, I reserve the right to increase my fee or withdraw from the work.
– Confirm the total word count of the project.
– Confirm the date you wish me to commence proofreading and the preferred deadline for completion.
Before I begin proofreading:
– Please clarify if you are using -ise or -ize spellings.
– Please confirm the reference system that you are using. If your academic institution has issued you with a specific style guide, please provide this.
– It is your responsibility to ensure that your academic institution allows you to use the services of a professional proofreader. Some universities will not allow this or will have restrictions on the work that can be undertaken. You may also have to declare that you have had your submitted work proofread. Any breach of your academic institution’s rules may result in very serious consequences for you. If your university has set guidelines for professional proofreaders, please send them to me. These guidelines will take precedence over the standard service I offer.
Providing your work:
– Please send me your full and complete text on the agreed date and at the agreed time. If there is a delay in providing your work, I may need to return it to you later than had been agreed. Please let me know as soon as possible if you will not be able to send your work on time.
Storage of work and privacy:
– I will keep your work confidential and it will not be made known to anyone other than you without prior written permission.
– I will keep files on my system for a maximum of five (5) years. If you would prefer the files are deleted at an earlier date, please advise and they will be removed.
– I may use a password-protected cloud-based storage solution while working on your files. If you would rather they were not stored in such a location, then I will back them up to an external hard drive only.
– If you, the Client, cancel the work or change the schedule within 48 hours of the previously agreed start time, I reserve the right to charge for the time lost.
– All fees are payable in GBP by bank transfer within 14 days of invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
– You, the Client, have no right to reduce the quoted and agreed fee.
– You are under no obligation to accept the quote given and I may refuse work offered by you.
– If your institution’s guidelines allow it, the quote given will cover one further proofread of the rewriting you do as a result of my suggestions. Please highlight the rewritten text when you resubmit the work. If you require any further rewriting to be checked, I can provide a new quote for that work.
– You are responsible for the academic content of your work. I am not legally responsible if you are awarded a lower mark than you expected.
– I will not carry out substantial editing or restructuring to your work.
– I will do my utmost to ensure all files are correct and free of errors; however, I can offer no guarantee of this.
These terms and conditions are subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both I, Hannah McCall, and you, the Client, agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.