I’m jumping on the Halloween bandwagon with this week’s homophones: white and wight. I sometimes read people have been to the ‘Isle of White’ or would like to discuss the actions of the ‘Wight Walkers’ in Game of Thrones.
- the colour (such as that of milk or snow)*
- pale or light in colour
- a person or people with pale or light-coloured skin
- a living being (in archaic usage)
- a ghost, spirit or other supernatural being
- a specific shipping forecast area covering part of the English Channel (‘Wight’)
My tip: a wight could be a ghost.
*I’m aware scientists may disagree with referring to white as a colour but it’s acceptable to do so in general usage.