The misuse of moose and mousse is another one of those mix-ups that can be slightly amusing. If I read something like “I ordered a moose for dessert” or “we photographed a mousse in the wild” I can’t help but play those little scenarios out in my mind (but then I am easily amused).
- a large deer with big, flattened antlers (also referred to as an elk)
- a smooth, light dish usually made with cream and egg whites
- the mass of tiny bubbles on top of a sparkling wine
- a foamy substance used to style hair or as a cosmetic or skin care product; to style using mousse
- the emulsion of oil and water after an oil spill
My tip: a mousse is often a dessert.
- Collins English Dictionary, 2009
- Oxford Dictionaries Online