‘Curb’ and ‘kerb’

In British English, curb and kerb have different meanings.

https://pixabay.com/en/leaves-blacktop-curb-asphalt-road-543492/Curb: a restraint or something that holds something else back. To restrain.

Kerb: the edging to a pavement (between it and the road) or a raised path.

In American English, the spelling curb is used instead of kerb.


8 thoughts on “‘Curb’ and ‘kerb’

  1. I’m from South Africa and we use the British spelling for everything. Sometimes the American spelling of things just throw me for a loop. Like the tire/tyre one suggested above. I like your site, but I’m a bit nervous about having you visit mine with all your expertise in language and all.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s